Dal Lauki by Madhu Varma
- Chana Dal – 3 Cups, soaked for 2 hours
- Lauki -1 kg, cut into 2 inch pieces
- Hing- 1 Teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder- 1Teaspoon
- Red Chillies- 4,whole
- Chilli Powder- 1 Teaspoon
- Coriander Powder- 2 Teaspoons
- Garam Masala- 2 Teaspoons
- Lemon- 1,juiced
- Tej Pattas-2
- Ghee- 2Tablespoons
- Sugar- 1Teaspoon
- Onion- 2 Tablespoons, sliced and browned
Cook soaked dal with lauki, turmeric, coriander powder, tej patta, cardamom, and sugar in a pressure cooker or pan with 5 cups water. When done, gently blend it . Add the lemon juice and garam masala.
In a pan heat the ghee, add the chillies, hing, zeera for tarka (tempering). Take off the fire, mix the chilli powder and pour it over the dal and swirl it around. Garnish it with browned onion slices.