Fish in Mustard Gravy by Madhu Varma
For the Fish
- Fish-1 kg. boneless, washed and dried
- Lemon juice-2Tablespoons
- Turmeric Powder- 2 Teaspoons
- Kalonji- 2Teaspoons
- Chilli Powder- 1 Teaspoon
- Salt-To Taste
- Mustard Oil- 1 Cup
Marinate fish in lemon juice and salt for 20 minutes. After the first marination , wash and dry the fish again. Mix all the spices and add to the fish. Heat oil in a karahi and deep fry the fish. This is now ready for adding to the mustard gravy.
For the Mustard Gravy
- Yellow Mustard Seeds- 200 gms, to be ground fine with 4 green chillies and water.
- Onions- 4 , ground
- Garlic-Ginger Paste – 4 ½ Teaspoons
- Haldi Powder- 1 Teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder- 1 Teaspoon
- Green Chillies- 6, slit and sautéed for garnish
- Kalonji- 2 Teaspoons
- Tomato Purée- 4 Tablespoons
- Coriander Leaves- 2 Tablespoons, chopped
- Mustard Oil- 4 Tablespoons
- Sugar- 1Teaspoon
Heat oil , add the kalonji and green chillies as the tarka , then the onions and fry it lightly . Add the garlic, ginger paste, haldi and chilli powder and fry the masalas along with the tomato puree and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Finally add the sarson – green chilli paste, fry a couple of minutes , add the sugar and some water to give it a thick consistency. Bring to boil and add the fish. Take off the fire , garnish with coriander leaves and 2 tablespoons of fresh mustard oil .