Khadeda in Mustard Gravy by Madhu Varma ( Vegetarian Option)
For the Khadeda
- Besan- 4 Cups
- Garlic Paste ( optional)- 2 Teaspoons
- Zeera- 2Teaspoons
- Haldi Powder-1 Teaspoon
- ChilliPowder- 1Teaspoon
- Chat Masala Powder -4 Teaspoons
- Dhania Leaves-4 Tablespoons, chopped
- Salt -to taste
- Oil- 4Tablespoons
- Oil- for frying and spreading on thali
Oil a flat surface without an edge (an overturned flat steel thali is ideal) before the cooking starts.
Mix all the above ingredients along with 2 cups water to get a smooth batter. Heat oil in a karahi, pour the mixture in it and keep stirring as it cooks. It will start thickening. When it reaches setting consistency take it off the fire and spread it on the thali. It should be about an inch thick. Let it set and then cut it in rectangular or diamond shape. Deep fry it and keep ready for adding to the mustard gravy.
For the Mustard Gravy
- Yellow Mustard Seeds- 200 gms, to be ground fine with 4 green chillies and water.
- Onions- 4 , ground
- Garlic-Ginger Paste – 4 ½ Teaspoons
- Haldi Powder- 1 Teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder- 1 Teaspoon
- Green Chillies- 6, slit and sautéed for garnish
- Kalonji- 2 Teaspoons
- Tomato Purée- 4 Tablespoons
- Coriander Leaves- 2 Tablespoons, chopped
- Mustard Oil- 4 Tablespoons
- Sugar- 1Teaspoon
Heat oil , add the kalonji and green chillies as the tarka , then the onions and fry it lightly . Add the garlic, ginger paste, haldi and chilli powder and fry the masalas along with the tomato puree and cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Finally add the sarson – green chilli paste, fry a couple of minutes , add the sugar and some water to give it a thick consistency . Bring to boil and add the khadeda. Take off the fire , garnish with coriander leaves and 2 tablespoons of fresh mustard oil .