Rasam by Roopa Padmanabhan
Rasam powder is normally ground and kept for 2 weeks or so. Rasam tastes better with fresh masala.
Ready- made masala is available in the market .
- Toor Dal – 1/2 Cup, cooked
- Tamarind Juice – 1 Cup
- Tomato Puree – 1 Cup
- Rasam Powder – 3 Teaspoons
- Heeng – ¼ Teaspoon
- Mustard and Jeera – 1 Teaspoon
- Salt – To taste.
- Desi Ghee – 1 Teaspoon
- Karipattha – 5 leaves
- Hari Dhania – 1 Tablespoon,chopped
- Toor Dal – 2 Tablespoons
- Dhania Seeds (Whole) – 4Tablespoons
- Kali Mirch – 1Tablespoon
- Jeera Seeds – 3/4 Tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds – a pinch
Dry roast all the ingredients together and grind coarsely.
Mix the tomato puree, tamarind juice, salt, heeng, rasam powder and boil till the raw smell goes .
Add cooked dal with 1 cup of water and boil for 2-3 minutes.
To temper, heat a spoon of desi ghee. Add the jeera and mustard seeds ,then quickly mix in the rasam.
Add the karipattha and chopped dhania .